Old procrastinating reneger

I have a confession to make. I’ve been procrastinating from writing a sequel to my post on Supplements. I’m long overdue on an entry about antioxidants (a category that includes most of the pills I’m taking).  I’ve been working on it off and on for a few weeks, but just can’t seem to find the motivation to finish it!

In place of that post (for now), here are a few odds and ends:

1)      I forgot to mention that Dr. Y gave me copies of all my medical records at my appointment on Monday. I had asked for these to send to CCRM in advance of my upcoming phone consultation. Of course, I couldn’t resist the temptation to read the records in detail. Most of it seemed run-of-the mill but I noticed two things that caught me off guard. The first was that I was listed as having a diagnosis of “secondary infertility”. I thought this term referred to people who already had one or more kids. Does one early miscarriage really mean I don’t qualify as “primary infertility”? The other surprise was that the embryology report listed me as having “Advanced Maternal Age”. I’m 34. I thought I had at least a few more months before graduating to the “Advanced Maternal Age” club. I did a Google search and learned that apparently the definition applies to women who are 35 or older at the time of childbirth. So apparently I do belong…assuming I ever get pregnant. I feel old! (No offense…)

2)      AF arrived today, making this a whopping 18-day cycle. (Has anybody else had such a short cycle after egg retrieval?) Anyway, that leads me to believe that my fertility monitor was actually working properly, and I didn’t ovulate this month. We’ll try natural IUI again next month…

3)      I planned poorly and just realized that I am going to be a bad ICLW-er this week. Tomorrow we’re leaving for a camping trip to Pinecrest in northern California. I just learned that they don’t have WiFi or reliable cell service, so I’m probably not going to be able to blog or comment until I get back next Wednesday. I’ve been trying to ‘bank’ lots of extra comments in the first half of the week, but I still feel like a schmuck for reneging on my commitment… Sorry!

Have a great week everybody!

1. Hehehe yeah I am a week late with writing a post about my supplements too, which I promised some gals on twitter. Oh and … SNAP. My last cycle (my first IVF cycle) lasted .. drum roll .. 18 days! My period came exactly 7 days after egg collection. Apparently it should come at least 10 days afterwards. I am gradually learning that I’m not really normal thought 🙂

• Actually, this is the first cycle after egg retrieval. (My egg retrieval cycle was actually a tad longer than normal…) I’d love to know what your next cycle length is, though.
      Hmm. Is that too personal? 😉

2. I actually had to think about the term primary infertility as I was writing referral for a patient. Yes, getting knocked up once removes the ‘primary’ from your diagnosis, but it doesn’t feel too secondary to me either

3. I didn’t know this about primary/secondary infertility. I thought it was more of a psychological difference between who already has children. And it’s very uncool to hear about the advanced maternal age. Makes me feel very old too. I’m a tiny bit younger but I will be there very soon.
    Don’t worry about commenting or blogging. Just have fun and tell us about it later!! I hope you have a great time!!!

4. I think everyone will understand (and be jealous of!) your vacation lapse 🙂 Have fun!

5. Have fun camping!

6. Shelley

/  July 26, 2013

I’m a new follower and couldn’t resist commenting because I LOVE Pinecrest! I used to go there with my friend’s family when I was young. So much fun!

BTW, I had the opposite experience as you. My first cycle after my retrievals were 41 and 53 days.

7. Crap, if AMA means delivery at age 35, then I’m heading toward AMA darned fast too. Or maybe, in the biological sense, the DOR/POF means I’ve already been AMA for a few years. That’s almost comforting – at least it’s nothing new to get used to! Still, lots of people have healthy babies at or after age 35, right? Including my own mother.

In the past 2 years (i.e. since starting to track cycle length) I have had about 3 cycles around 18 days. The shortest I’ve ever had was 17 days. That was not after an egg retrieval though, obviously, it was a natural cycle. According to my fertility monitor on those cycles, I did ovulate, or attempt to ovulate, at about CD 5.

Enjoy the camping trip! thanks for all the comments and I enjoy reading your blog a lot!

8. I’m looking forward to the supplements post but I can imagine it takes a lot of time writing the posts you do. Anyhow.. this is a note of appreciation that you do it. Thank you 🙂

Have an amazing trip and enjoy the time offline.

9. Have a great time camping! You deserve a break.

And you’re not old…. says the 40 year old with a 4 year old child…. 😉

10. Hoping to be hope's mama

/  July 29, 2013

That’s the thing about infertility, always reminding you of all these milestones that would otherwise have zero significance… That said, you are still a spring chicken!