My fortnight in pictures

I’m sorry for being a bad blogger lately. My excuses are many: we’ve been busy with visitors and travel, I’ve been ‘using up’ all my writing juices on my promotion portfolio (due September 5), and not much has been happening on the infertility front.

Rather than a long, disjointed ‘catch up’ post, I bring you my fortnight in pictures:

1) Got these beautiful flowers from my mom’s college roommate. She suffered with unexplained infertility for 10 years before having two amazing children, now grown.

Image

2) Did lot of head scratching mid-month. My fertility monitor (which reads the lower stick) never gave a peak reading this month. (It never even gave a ‘high’ reading!) But the cheap-o OPK (upper stick) did give a positive, so we moved ahead with our plan to do natural cycle IUI.

Image

3) I snapped this shot just after insemination. As you can see, I forgot my lucky socks. 😦 I put a pair in my glove compartment now so I’ll be prepared next time!

Image

4) Here’s a selfie of me before giving the sperm to the nurse to wash it. I think the recommendation of sticking the ‘sample’ in my bra to keep it warm in transit probably works better for bustier women than me…

Image

5) I’m proud to say that I’ve been running regularly, thanks to my sister’s nagging encouragement. Nothing anywhere near my marathon days (my longest recent run was 4.3 miles), but it adds up after awhile. I’m just proud to be doing something active again!

Image

6) A view from one of my runs… Makes me wonder how on earth I waited so long to run again!

Image

7) C and I decided to take a trip to northern Sonoma for some wine tasting. We stopped on the way up to enjoy the view.

Image

8) Funny enough, this is about as close as we got to any wineries on our ‘wine trip’.

Image

9) Instead of wine tasting, we spent a lot of time beer tasting at Russian River and Bear Republic (below), two of our favorite breweries. I didn’t manage to snap any pictures at Russian River – probably because we were enjoying the beer and company too much! (Our friend M is a brewer there and he and his wife J gave us the deluxe tour.)

Image

10) Aunt Flo showed her ugly face yesterday morning. For what it’s worth, it didn’t catch me off guard, since I’ve started charting again. Anyway, how could I be sad when I’ve got this joker to cheer me up back at home?

Image

1. Beautiful country! But that face.. That is a FACE. Will you be offended if I say he crossed over ugly into so ugly he’s cute? That SNAGGLE TOOTH!

2. Looks like an amazing weekend! If I had that view I think I’d be tempted to run a lot more too.

3. Message me the next time you’re in the Bay Area! Awesome photo collection!

4. Hey you were in my hood! Glad you had a great beer tasting trip. I’ll have to let Bob know about those breweries. He loves beer! Sorry about AF. She sucks. But glad you started running again! That is some view. 🙂

• Thanks Isabelle! And if Bob hasn’t tried their beers yet, he’s in for a treat! My faves are Racer 5 (IPA from Bear Republic) and Supplication (SOUR Belgian style beer from Russian River).

5. Love your dog! I want one. And what lovely flowers, how thoughtful.

• Yeah, talking to her, I realize how deep and long-lasting the pain of IF can be. It’s great having someone who ‘gets it’!

6. I’m so excited that you’re running! Isn’t it wonderful? And I love your shirt…Trust me, I’m a robot. How funny!

• Thanks. 🙂 My husband used to call me ‘the robot’ because of my lack of displayed emotion…that was before infertility came into our lives. Since IF, he hasn’t once accused me of resembling a robot!

• If you could not show emotion dealing with IF I’d say you truly were a robot! I feel like I’m losing my mind every day haha.

7. Great pictures!! Sonoma looks beautiful, and the sample in your bra pic is too funny!

8. Sounds like a great 2 weeks. I love your tshirt but don’t think I would have done much better with the sample and I am busty. Is it in a thermos?

Your dog cracks me up. His ears look like horns. I love that picture.

• Ha! You must be busty if you think that could be thermos. It was one of those little specimen cups!

9. I love Sonoma! I want to move to Northern CA. I had the same issue with the sperm in the bra thing. Except I’m even less busty than you, and had to settle for keeping it in between my legs during the car ride and then shoving it in my purse with a scarf wrapped around it walking into the clinic. All equally classy choices.

10. I’m so glad to hear you’re running. Running is my sanity- my stillness. I lost running for about six years, but now that I’m back at it, I can’t imagine ever giving it up again. Jealous of your scenery, though- my runs are pretty much confined to suburbia. Once I get up over 10 miles, I’ll be taking it to country roads though. Can’t wait!

So sorry about the BFN, but good for you for taking it in stride. Not an easy thing to do….

• Thanks. Yes, I definitely need to keep it up, which may be difficult once fall classes start…

I guess the ‘nice’ thing about a failed IVF is that I don’t really get my hopes up at each IUI… I hope it works, but I expect that it probably won’t.

11. I WANT YOUR PUG!!

Man, they really tip you upside-down for the post-IUI resting period, eh? How long do you have to wait like that before you’re allowed to go? Also, yeah, there were many times I ended up riding my bike to the clinic at 8 a.m. with a cup of warm sperm between my boobs… such a weird thing. I always wondered what would happen if I got into an accident and some stranger discovered it… would probably assume I had some weird fetish. 🙂

• Yeah, I think they just do it to make us feel better. They let me lay like that for 15-20 min, although I’m sure they wouldn’t argue if I wanted to get up right away.

12. I hate to be so forward, but can I have your dog? He’s so cute! How can anyone be sad with that face hanging around?

• So true! I can’t wait to see pics of your doggy, if you can manage to get one without somebody else ‘stealing’ it out from under you. 😉