Dr’s visit

Yesterday, I met with Dr. Y. for my HSG follow up visit. Highlights:

  • Dr. Y. expressed sincere concern for C.’s accident. (Love him!)
  • Dr. Y. expressed interest in seeing the image of my uterus from HSG that I have on my cell phone. (Even if he was faking, I don’t care. Still love him.)
  • Dr. Y. reassured me that while C.’s pain meds might reduce the odds of a pregnancy, in the event that I do get pregnant, there shouldn’t be any effect on the fetus. (One less thing to worry about.)
  • In the likely event that I don’t get pregnant, I need to call his office as soon as my period starts to schedule an ultrasound. (US has to happen within 3 days of my period start if I want to do IUI this cycle…one more thing to worry about!)
  • The rescheduled date for my menopur class (class to give myself hormone shots for medicated IUI) should hopefully happen before my period starts…if it doesn’t, then I won’t be able to do IUI this cycle. (Another thing to worry about!)
Advertisements

The try

First, an update: After 7 days in the hospital, C.’s risk of further internal bleeding was considered low enough to let him go home. The final tally (after hearing from a team of trauma surgeons, radiologists, and the like) was a bit worse than I said in my last post: 7 broken ribs, 3 broken vertebrae, class 4 lacerations on both liver and spleen, and a hemopneumothorax (blood and air in the chest cavity). Incredibly, he did not require surgery – just a few stitches on his knee, close monitoring for internal bleeding, and a $*#!load of painkillers (more on those later). Since he was in San Jose at the time of the accident, the ‘home’ that they released C. to is his parents’ house. Yesterday, I flew back to San Diego to return to work. The plan is for me to fly to San Jose again on Friday to pick up C. and bring him ‘home’ to San Diego…

But this blog is supposed to be about infertility. As I mentioned before, the timing of C.’s accident relative to my anticipated ovulation date made it unlikely that we would get to try this month. Well…I’ll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that there is at least the possibility (however remote) that I could get pregnant…(Nobody can accuse C. of not being dedicated to baby-making!)

Now whether that would be a good thing is another question entirely. In the past week, C. has been on a laundry-list of painkillers, most opiate narcotics. In the hospital, his drug of choice was hydromorphone (trade name Dilaudid), a fast-acting IV narcotic. Unfortunately, he couldn’t take that one home and had to settle for the ones that come in pill form, including time-release oxycodone (trade name OxyContin); a mixture of hydrocodone and paracetamol (trade name Norco); and ibuprofen (trade name Motrin). The narcotics are all derived from the natural products morphine and codeine, alkaloids produced by the opium poppy. For your viewing pleasure, I’ve pasted the chemical structures below.

If we do get pregnant this month, our baby might come out addicted to prescription painkillers!

Image

Accident

Late Friday night, C. was in a bad accident. (He was riding on the back of his friend’s scooter and got hit by a deputy sheriff who was running a red light without her siren on…) C. has some pretty serious injuries – including 6 broken ribs, one fractured vertebra, a pneumothorax, and – most disturbingly – large lacerations on his liver and spleen (class 4 and class 3, out of 5, respectively). Fortunately, he does not appear to be bleeding internally, and after 48 hours holding stable, they’ve moved him from ICU to a med-surg ward.

Needless to say, we aren’t thinking too much about fertility at the moment. Although I have to admit that one of my grossly inappropriate thoughts upon hearing about the accident was, “I guess we won’t get to try this month…” When I confessed this to C., he was super disappointed and tried to convince me that he would be up for BDing by ovulation time. Since he is on strict bed rest now, hasn’t walked or eaten more than a bite of solid foods since Friday, and ovulation is 3-4 days away, I find this pretty unlikely.)

Anyway, please keep C. in your thoughts and prayers.